Friday, January 9, 2009

My RoadID Has Arrived!


To be honest, I can't believe I waited this long to buy one, but I used Christmas as a good excuse to buy myself a RoadID. If you don't know what this is, you've obviously never read a copy of Bicycling magazine! Month after month I got tempted to buy one, but my procrastination always won the day. Now I can officially wear this reflective ankle band as a fashion statement. The problem with items like these are that they are "insurance products"; in order to effectively use it, I'll need to get hit by a vehicle while running or biking, sort of like a spare tire (but much more painful).

One of the main reasons I ordered it was when I was commuting home from work one night and saw something bright moving up and down about 200 yards away. After the car ahead of me passed the light, it turned off. It wasn't until I got closer and another car approached that I realized this was actually the 3M reflective strip on another rider's RoadID. Simply being that visible from that far away was enough to sell me on this product. My wife also likes the added security of knowing that I have emergency contact info on me. I was really excited to test it out, so I went riding. I'd like to say that cars stayed an extra 3' away from me, but in reality it was a ride just like any other. I wasn't hit by a car though, so it must be doing it's job! The neoprene band is actually more comfortable than I though it would be, and I could (and have) wear it all day, even when I'm not working out.

The RoadID website also offers a wrist and shoe version, but I stuck with the AnkleID so that I could have that added value of the moving reflective strip for my evening rides. I decided not to go with the interactive version, but if I had any major medical problems I would probably get this added benefit, as you can create an Emergency Response Profile that health-care professionals can access in the absence of medical records.

Now that I have it, I can't believe I waited this long to buy it. I suggest if you want to purchase one of these, buy it now! You never know when you'll need it. I'll be wearing mine every time I go out.

Yes, the photo is of me. No, I don't want you to comment on my ankle hair.

No comments: